Back pain or discomfort is common during pregnancy and should be expected to some degree by most women. Back pain may be experienced during any point of your pregnancy; however, it most commonly occurs later in the pregnancy as the weight and the size of the baby increase. Back pain can disrupt your daily routine or interfere with a good night of sleep.
You are not alone if you are experiencing back pain during your pregnancy. The American Pregnancy Association reports that between 50 to 70 percent of all pregnant women have back pain due to several factors:
- Increase of Hormones
- Different Center of Gravity
- Additional Weight
- Change of Posture or Position
The good news is that there are steps you can take to manage the back pain that you may experience.
- Make sure your back is aligned by a chiropractor
- Use massage therapy to work out difficult knots – our therapists are certified in pregnancy massage
- Use exercises and stretches approved by your OBGYN and Chiropractor
- Avoid sleeping on your back
- Wear shoes that provide adequate support
- Elevate your legs
One of the main therapies we use for pregnant patients is flexion-distraction. You can see an example of our
flexion-distraction tables above. Notice that the thoracic section drops down for maximum comfort even during late stages of pregnancy. This technique provides a gentle and highly-controlled stretch which would be difficult and uncomfortable otherwise. There are many hands-on and hands-off chiropractic techniques that can be used based on the stage of pregnancy and the severity of symptoms.